Goal of the Game
Use your journey cards to complete paths to McGuffin Mountain to claim some of John Nebthos' treasures!
Along the way, collect minor treasures from the destiny deck and thwart other adventurers to keep them from reaching the mountain. The lucky adventurer with the most Fame at the end of the game wins!
• Deal 4 Journey Cards and 1 Destiny Card to each player.
• Place 8 Treasure Cards in the center. Set aside the 2 extra; they aren’t used for this round.
• Place the Journey Card draw pile next to the Treasures.
• Place the Destiny Card draw pile in the center of the Treasures to represent McGuffin Mountain.
• Play 1 Journey Card per turn. The first card on a path may be any number. The next cards must be of equal or higher value to the previous card on the path.
• You may have up to 2 journey paths at a time. Each path must be the same terrain unless modified by a Destiny Card. (ex: One path is ocean and one is desert.)
• Dead End: Instead of playing a Journey Card, you can instead discard three of them. (See "Draw Phase.")
• You can discard an entire path and start over at any point as a free action.
• Discard 3 Destiny Cards to claim a treasure. (See "Claiming a Treasure.")
• Modify a Journey Card. Choose either the last card on the path or the new one.
(ex: The last card on the path is a 10. If you have a Telescope and a 5, you can use the Telescope to turn the 10 into a 4 then play the 5 -OR- turn the 5 into an 11 to play after the 10.)
• Claim a Minor Treasure. Any Discover card can add to Fame and you may play them to begin securing your fame.
(See "Cards" for more details on how to play each Destiny Card.)
• Draw back up to 4 Journey Cards.
• Draw a Destiny Card IF the Journey Card you played was a higher value than the previous one. Starting a new path or playing a card of equal value does not count.
-OR- You may instead discard 3 Journey Cards to draw a Destiny Card as your Journey Action .
• Your journey path is complete when it has 5 cards. On the same turn you complete your journey, you may claim a treasure!
• Discard 3 Destiny Cards from your hand and randomly choose which treasure you claim. Once you look at it, this card is played face down in front of you.
• If you don’t have enough Destiny Cards, you can keep your journey path intact and claim the treasure when you do.
• These treasures can only be stolen with the Ole Switcheroo card.
Ending the Game
• The game ends when there are no Destiny Cards to draw f0r the draw phase.
The volcano explodes!
• Look through remaining cards in your hand to come up with a story to share about your journey.
(ie. Meet a Pathfinder, Indecisive, Espresso Beans, Discover a New Bird, and Holy Grail.)
“When I began my journey I was too indecisive. I just couldn’t figure out the best route to McGuffin Mountain. Thankfully, I met a pathfinder. After we shared some espresso, he led me on a path where we discovered a beautiful bird. Even the pathfinder had never seen such a bird. The bird became our pet and came along to the mountain where we found the Holy Grail! Which we now use as a bird bath.”
• Count the Fame from Treasure and Destiny Cards. Any “discoveries” still in a player’s hand do count toward the Fame total.
(ie. Using the same example as above, that player’s Fame total would be +12.)
• The player with the most Fame wins!